I ignored Valentines day on this blog because I tend to find enforced gifting sometimes misses the mark. (Particularly if it's pink- just call me killjoy). But sometimes there feels a need for some indulgence, and thats right about now, when winter seems to be lasting forever, most of us are ill, and it feels like we're all counting the hours (excuse the pun) until that clock change. So when mother's day comes around it does seem like the perfect opportunity for gifting (or self gifting) regardless of whether we or anyone around us are mothers, in my opinion. Lets think of it as more of a congratulatory 'well done us we've got through January and February' type of event. So here are twenty special pieces from lovely brands that make excellent gifts and are guaranteed to bring good cheer to us all. Mothers included.
A FOREVER KNIT These days we want our knits ethical and with longevity. JAKKE ticks the box with this wear with anything across all seasons tank that comes in various colour ways.
2. FUR SLIDERS Anyone else sharing my obsession with wearing socks and sliders in the house? ( And on the school run) Spending nearly £200 on a shearling pair is a little hard to swallow, but here's an excellent budget alternative at LA REDOUTE .
3. AN ICONIC SCENT A friend introduced me to DIPTIQUE Lombre Dans L'eau recently (Basically the iconic Baies candle in a scent) The world needs to know. Plus how gift appropriate are these sweet solid perfume cases?
4. A SPRING DRESS This gingham number from young ethical label ALIGNE works for any age and any season, with an asymmetric hem to give a little 2023 edge.
5. AN EXCELLENT FACE CREAM While there are many lovely face creams around, SUNDAY RILEY and it's vitamin C infused CEO collection is currently killing it. (I tried this from the John Lewis advent calendar and am converted)
6. A BIG USEFUL COTTON SCARF Whether you like a scarf in the hair, around the neck or on a bag, the Ines de la Fressange collaboration at UNIQLO is a wear with everything option that makes Spring feel like it's on it's way.
7. A CANDLE A failsafe for gifting, but always fabulous. The AUGUST & PIERS new range is minimal, beautiful and the candles have excellent names. ( Also tempted by 'Saint')
8. A HOLDALL As my holdalls have all been stolen by my children I say you can never have enough stylish overnighters, and WATSON AND WHITE's quilted numbers are so very on trend.
9. A MICRO TATTOO ASTRID AND MIYU offers delicate tattooing in a non scary boutique environment, with tonnes of options that can be fitted into your lunch break. Possibly one to file under 'self gifting.
10. A FLUFFY DRESSING GOWN Maybe its the arctic conditions but i'm finding the cotton dressing gown isn't currently cutting it. This striped number from GEORGE AT ASDA is chic but cosy.
11. A STYLISH STEAMER We're all trying to treat our clothes better and keep them longer. A good looking clothes steamer like this PHILIPS mint green delight is the way to do it ( And saves on that pesky ironing)
12. A SPECIAL VASE All vases are great, but some are greater than others. This leopard from LES OTTOMANS is a talking point at dinner parties and who doesn't appreciate a talking point at dinner parties.
13. CRYO ANYTHING You no longer need to spend your mortgage on home cryo treatments, you can choose from Primark to Net a Porter and everything in between. These GATINEAU cryo globes sit in my family's gifting sweet spot.
14. AN EAR PIERCING DATE. Who wouldn't appreciate an ear piecing treat at MONICA VINADER, who now offer full ear piercing and earring stack packages. I cant think of a better mother daughter day out. ( Immediately whatsapp's 78 year old mother)
15. A GOOD BOOK Another traditional gifting fall back, but a book is never not a good idea. Plus an OTTOLENGHI cook book ( this is his latest) must surely appeal to 95% of the population.
16. PILLOW SPRAY My entire extended family swear by nightly pillow spray, and this lavender chamomile and patchouli based NEOM version is a goodun.
17. A LARGE TOTE H&M 's bag game is currently strong, and this raffia and green oversized tote will be just as good beachside in a few months time.
18. A MINI HOTWATER BOTTLE The perfect combo: Spring florals and a hot water bottle that's small enough to slip up your jumper on the way to work. As let's face it, its still FREEZING.
19. KEEP FOREVER CLOGS Independent ethical footwear brand brand ASRA have a great new season clog in three colour ways. The suit everyone staple that will stay in the wardrobe forever.
20. FLOWERS And for the perennial gift when all else fails: flowers, but make them BLOOM AND WILD: affordable, stylish (with great gift cards) and can be posted through the letterbox. Begone boring and pricey floral offerings.
Thank you for reading! Please subscribe to receive my weekly blog on all things style and fashion.
There may be affiliate links associated with this post which earn me a small commission should you purchase.